Friday 19 September 2008

Planning A Route

So for this lesson we have to use the internet to plan a route, by train and by car, to Tottenham Court Road in London.

Firstly to plan the journey by car i went to the AA route planner website and entered the details of my trip.
This gave me directions to the destination and the following information:
Distance: 85.3 miles
Time: 1 hr 57 min

The cost of taking this trip by car would be no more than the cost of the petrol used as the site is free to use.

The AA's Route Planner site was exrtremely easy to use for this task as all you need to enter is the postcode or name of the startinf location and where you want to end up. The Route Planner does all the work and gives you easy to understand directions and information about your journey.

To plan this journey by train to Tottenham Court Road firstly I went to www.nationalrail.co.uk/ to find the train that I would have to take. However I found that there was no direct train to Tottenham Court Road.
I found out that Euston train station was an 8 minute walk from Tottenham Court road. Therefore I planned the journey to this station.

The journey by train from Peterborough to Euston station takes 1 hour 16 minutes.
The cost of this journey is £27.50 for an adult.

This journey was significantly harder to plan than the car journey.
Firstly the national rail site offered no options when there was no direct train to Tottenham Court Road and I had to find the nearest station myself.

Other than this the site was fairly easy to use, simply inputting starting and end destionation and time you want to leave.

Overall both sites were easy to use providing you had all the correct information, however the AA's Route Planner was more helpful in offering up options to you.

No comments: